Thursday, January 21, 2010

John Edwards: Somebody Wake Me From This Nightmare

My God, the story that will not die!!!!

Just when I thought that the alleged revelations about Elizabeth Edwards in the new book "Game Change" were bad enough, John Edwards comes out and tops them. 

The latest bombshell, which really is not a bombshell as much as it is a confirmation of everyone's hunch, has given a hellish story new life. 

I told a friend of mine that when this subject comes up, I sometimes wish I had been an Obama or Clinton supporter.  If I were, I could read this stuff, shake my head and move on.  Instead, revelations like this rip the stitches out of an old wound. 

All politicians are taught, or should be, to get out in front of a negative story or allegation.  Do not let it go unanswered or linger to the point where it consumes your campaign for three or four days.  This ordeal has been going on since July...of 2008.  Will it ever be over? 

However, let me say this about John Edwards.  Whatever his failings, personal or professional, no one before or since has spoken out on behalf of the poor in this country like John Edwards.  He made fighting poverty a cornerstone of his campaign and no matter what he has done or said, there are millions of people in this country that are barely getting by.  I was, and still am, proud to have been associated with his war on poverty, a war which should continue.



No comments: