Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Classic Films: "Laura"

"Laura" was one of the first classic films that I came to know and love.  It is truly a classic from top to bottom, with great film noir touches, atmosphere and witty dialogue.  Gene Tierney plays "Laura", the beautiful young lady who takes everyone by storm.  Her competing love interests are Waldo Lydecker, a famous society columnist played with sarcastic glee by Clifton Webb and Shelby Carpenter, a shady southern playboy played by a young Vincent Price (!) before he became the horror king of later years.  Dana Andrews plays MacPherson, the detective who investigates Laura's life and finds himself falling in love with her memory.



There are so many good lines in this movie, it is hard to describe them all.  Here are a few:
  • Waldo Lydecker, "I don't use a pen.  I write with a goose quill dipped in venom."
  • Shelby Carpenter, "I don't know a lot about anything, but I know something about practically everything."
  • Laura (on Shelby), "Shelby's a natural suspect because he's not the conventional type."
  • Waldo (on some mysterious financial transactions), "Maybe they were shooting crap!"
  • Waldo, "I alternated between moods of over-optimism and over-pessimism.  When the phone rang I had a foreboding of disaster."
"Laura".  If you like it, get it here.

No comments: