Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Songs of the Day: Paul Davis

There are some songs you always heard on the radio; never huge smash hits, but popular all the same.  The artist was perhaps obscure or nondescript.  Paul Davis was one of those artists for the longest time in my mind.

Paul Davis was a country/pop singer and songwriter.  In the late 70's and early 80's he had a string of pop hits: "Sweet Life", "I Go Crazy" and " '65 Love Affair".  I did not really think about him much until "I Go Crazy" was featured on Barry Manilow's "Summer of '78" album.  Then I looked into his career.  The most surprising thing was his appearance.  Here was a guy who wrote these 70's pop ballads, then the upbeat nostalgic " '65 Love Affair", and he looked like he belonged in Skynrd or the Allman Brothers band. 


After his most successful period, Davis retreated from the limelight.  He died in 2008 of a heart attack, just after turning 60.  Here are his biggest hits:


"I Go Crazy" with an intro by Rick Nelson


"Cool Night"


'65 Love Affair (set to scenes from "Sin City")

No comments: