Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Songs of the Day: the Four Tops

Part of the original Motown sound, the Four Tops had a talent for great performances of diverse, eclectic material.

Along with their signature 60's hits ("I Can't Help Myself", "Reach Out I'll Be There", "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch", et al), the group had success with some unexpected covers, which I want to focus on.

In 1968 the Tops covered "Walk Away Renee", originally a very stylized baroque-sounding lament by the Left Banke.  Here it receives a great Motown soul treatment:

"Walk Away Renee"


1967's "If I Were A Carpenter". This was a song, much like "Little Green Apples" and "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", that almost every artist seemed almost contractually obligated to cover. Again, the Tops set themselves apart from the crowd.

"If I Were A Carpenter"



Showing their resilience through the years, in 1988 with the same line up the Tops had a top 40 hit with this song, "Indestructible".

"Indestructible"



Bonus:

From "Motown 25" in 1983, a recreation of the old "Battle of the Bands" contests they waged while on tour in the 60's.

No comments: